General

Opinions

Sunday, February 10, 2013Unknown



As part of my new years resolutions I am going to try to blog weekly and since this is Sunday and I don't believe I have blogged yet this week, here I am! There's really not a lot of news to be had. The puppy is more settled in, which means there are less accidents on the floor and a lot less crying throughout the night, which is awesome. He still chews quite a bit and requires a lot of supervision but I've been able to catch up on Downton Abbey and work on my moms very late birthday present of some toe up socks. I've just started the heel on the first one and can't wait to be finished them! I haven't worked on my sweater since the last time you heard about it either.

What I have been doing is a lot of puppy training. I've watched youtube videos, read articles, spoken to friends and family, people at the pet store, and random others. I've realized that there are a lot of different ways to train a dog and there are a lot of people who feel that it is necessary for them to tell you which way is the right one. I've heard of parents complaining about this before, but I didn't think it was the same with dogs. We've decided to clicker train, which means we use positive reinforcement and don't scold or punish. We do use a positive interrupter noise which stops him from chewing or chasing the cat or what not, then we correct him by giving him the right thing to chew on or pointing him in the direction of the correct behaviour. He' been catching on really really quick and this works for us. But I've had so many people tell me that this is wrong and he will behave badly because we're not scolding him. That's their point of view and animal training methods have come a long way since those methods were used, but I keep my opinions to themselves since that's what works for them.

Anyways short rant, a big(ish) block of text for you this week. I'm really hoping to get some knitting done this week, and maybe finish those socks, and maybe maybe maybe do a video podcast. I really want to so we'll see.

Happy Crafting,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Newsletter

Contact Form